Monday 14 January 2013

Bread and Butter Pudding served with Apple Sauce.



I made this for pudding yesterday.

It is a brilliant way to use up bread.

For this I used organic whole meal bread, but really only because my Mam had bought it when she was visiting. None of the bairns would eat it in its original state and it was too expensive to waste. I have also made this using white bread, tea cakes and brioche.

This is so easy. You can basically use what ever you have in your pantry.
Quantities are difficult to give as it depends on how much bread you have or how big your dish is.

You will need :-

  • Bread
  • Unsalted Butter
  • Milk
  • Eggs
  • Fruit, Dried fruit or Chocolate chips etc.
  • Custard or Cream
  • Sugar


Slice up the bread and butter on one side.
  

Place butter side up in an oven proof dish.


Pour over a large mug of milk. If you like a moist pudding, add another half mug of milk. Then place both hands flat on top of the bread and milk and squish slightly to encourage the milk to soak into the bread.
Leave to stand for about ten minutes.



Sprinkle with dried fruit like sultarners or fresh fruit like bill berries. 
Or if you really want to push the boat out you could use chocolate chips.


For this amount of bread I would use 3 eggs. Fill the mug to the top with milk and then pour in to a larger bowl and whisk. Don't try and whisk it in the mug, it'll just make a mess.
Pour this mix over the bread.


Pour over a tin of custard, it doesn't have to be an expensive tin. I just use Co-op own brand.
Sprinkle with sugar.
Cook in a medium oven for about half an hour or until the eggy mix has set.


Serve with stewed fruit and a little cream if you like. 
The bairns loved this and ate the lot.

Enjoy.



3 comments:

  1. I haven't had bread and butter pudding in years - it looks delicious. I love the crunchy top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bread and butter pud is one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to show the bairns some of the food I had when I was a bairn.

    ReplyDelete