Sunday 27 January 2013

Oh they may look innocent now !!


The picture of innocence.

The boys have reeked havoc today 



This is Ginger sweeping up the evidence of crashing my tenderly loved lychee plant onto a rather chewed succulent.  



Mittens pretended to be asleep despite the broken pot behind him, and Ginger tried to bury the remaining evidence.

A bit of progress in the study. 



I think at least a fourth and probably a fifth coat will still be needed.

Bannocks



After a swift phone call to a girl friend's husband to discuss this recipe, I decided to bake bannocks to go with my husband's Reestit mutton soup.

In a large bowl, put 1lb SR flour, a large pinch salt, 1 egg and about 2/3rds of a pot of butter milk.


Mix in to a soft dough.


Turn out onto a floured surface and gently kneed.
Then roll out until about 3/4 of an inch thick.

                                 

 Either cut out with a cutter, or chop the dough free hand.
Place on a greased baking tray and bake in a moderate oven.


Bake for about 12 minute or until golden.
I had to put mine in for an extra 5 minutes.



 That was the first course for our family Burns Supper.


“Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some wad eat that want it,
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.”

This was followed by Haggis, tattie and neeps.




2 comments:

  1. Oh I missed this blog post! Sorry. Bannocks look goooooood :-) Love the photos of the boys, so, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if I say so myself, they were a bit yummy. I'm so chuffed I can make bannocks now.

      Delete